One of the most historical places in Tashkent is situated to the north of Navoiy Street. In the second half of the 15th century there was a memorial, blessed by Khadja Ahrar, the powerful leader of Sufi brotherhood “Nakshbandiya”. In this place they erected the mausoleum of Khadja Ahrar’s uncle, sheikh Hovendi Tahur or Sheyhantahur. The legend tells about an ancient grove in this place which Iskander, the two-horned (Alexander the Great) once blessed with a visit. Inside the Sheyhantahur mausoleum there is the dry trunk of the last tree from that grove. In the late 15th century, beside the mausoleum of the sheikh there was constructed the mausoleum of Yunus-khan, the grandfather of Zakhr ad-Din Babur. Yunus-khan became famous as a conqueror of the vast territories of Mongolia and East Turkistan. Tashkent was his place of residence. A short time before his death he settled in Sheyhantahur as a simple dervish.
To the north of the mausoleum of Sheikh Hovendi Tahur stands the mausoleum of Kaldirgach-biy. The name Kaldirgach (“a swallow”) refers to a respected judge from duglat kin, Tole-biy (1663–1756). There is information that in the place of Tole-biy’s grave there was an earlier burial of Mongolian prince from the Kipchak tribe. In the 19th century the ensemble Sheyhantahur, besides the mausoleums of the ancient cemetery, included four mosques, two madrasah, a minaret and chillyakhana. It is known that two mosques were built with the donations of two Tashkent merchants – Saidazim-bai and Garib-bai. Since 1925 “Uzbekfilm”, the movie company occupied the area and that was where the first Uzbek films were produced. Sheyhantahur suffered seriously during the Tashkent earthquake of 1966. In the late 20th– early 21st centuries the territory of Sheyhantahur became home to the Tashkent Islamic Universit.