In the middle of the 17th century the cathedral mosque of Bibi Khanym lay in ruins and Samarkand needed a new mosque in its center. Yalangtush-biy ordered its construction in Registan. The mosque was expected to serve as a madrasah too. It was under construction for almost twenty years and was finished in 1660. The gilding mass on the dome, walls and mihrab was more than on every other famous buildings in Central Asia. Owing to that the madrasah was called Tillya-Kari which means “gilt”. The Mosque of Yalangtush-biy is on the western side of the madrasah’s yard. It is a large domed hall, decorated with a high entrance portal. Inside, opposite to the entrance, the huge arch of the mihrab is located. A sign of a “mystical square”, surrounded by Koranic sayings focused the prayers’ concentration. To its right there is a minbar decorated with marble steps. The dome of the mosque was destroyed by an earthquake in the early 19th century and reconstructed in the 20th century.
Invalid Displayed Gallery