The Sher-Dor Madrasah was built between 1619 and 1636 in the place of Ulugbek’s khanaka which after two hundred years had collapsed. It stands like a mirror reflection of Ulugbek’s madrasah. Ribbed domes on high drums, placed on opposite sides of the front portal tower over a two-story façade. Probably the Ulugbek madrasah had the same domes, but time did not spare them. Islamic inscriptions and vegetative ornaments decorate the interior. The tympans of the portal arch are especially interesting. They were decorated with anthropomorphic oval of the sun and a tiger with lion’s mane attacking a fallow deer. That gave it the name “Sher-Dor” –”having tigers”. The picture had been nearly lost by the middle of the 20th century but was restored again. The significant importance of Sher-Dor Madrasah (former Ulugbek khanaka) is the burial of Imam Muhammad ibn Djafar Sadyk, which is in the southeastern corner of the façade (there is no evidence of a connection between this person and Shiite Imam Djafar as-Sadyk).
Invalid Displayed Gallery