Madrasah of Muhammad Rahim-Khan
Madrasah of Muhammad Rahim-khan stands opposite to the gates of Kunya-Ark. The madrasah is one of the largest in Khiva. It was built by order of Seyid Muhammad-Rahim II (1863-1910) widely known as Uzbek poet Feruz-Shah. By his order many Persian and Arabic manuscripts were translated into the Uzbek language. Poems by Feruz- Shah were published in books: “Gazelle of Feruz”, “Beit of Feruz” and “Collection of Poems by Feruz”. The rectangular building of the madrasah has a four-aivan yard and small towers in the corners. Its large entrance portal contains a complex lobby with a five-beam arcade of niches. Hudjras of madrasah are topped with “Balkhi” domes, and a part of the living room has compartments for household needs. In the center of the southern wing of the madrasah there is a dome mosque. This building is the last built large-scale structure of a Khiva madrasah. During the rule of Muhammad Rahim-khan II in 1873, Russian troops invaded the khanate, which led to the establishment of a Russian protectorate.